UPDATE 1 - 6/9/2013
UPDATE 2 - 27/9/2013
UPDATE 3 - 2/10/2013
1. New player roles
When the new tactical system was released with FM 2010, I absolutely loved it. When I was playing FM 2006 and was forced to play with the old tactical system, making tactics was not only very long winded but very difficult. Ever since FM 2010, the new tactical system has made tactics not only so much simpler but far quicker, and I found imagining what each player did in the team a lot clearer. Playing FM 2013, I still enjoy creating original tactics for my teams, but I feel that new player roles should be introduced in order for the game to keep up with modern playing styles and to generally freshen up the process of tactic making
Sports Interactive have done just that with 8 new player roles (listed in the picture above). I have no idea was most of them mean, but as long as they're well explained later on, I'll welcome them with open arms. I will try and embrace these new roles as much as possible in the new games, and I hope others will too.
2. More advanced data editor/New official real time editor
I'm so psyched for this. The data editor has mostly gone untouched since SI released the first Football Manager in 2004. Now 9 years later, in order to coincide with the new Steam workshop integration, SI have added a ton of new features and options to this year's editor that will give you even larger creative freedom (pun intended) for your custom game scenario. Personally, I'm most excited for the editing of prize money as I've always wanted to make the Football League richer and I've never been able to do that on the current editor along with the ability to edit current leagues is a welcome addition as I want to increase/decrease the number of teams in a particular league.
Although there's already a free real time editor out there for FM 2013, I'm intrigued to see what SI can put out themselves. If it's significantly better than the current free one and doesn't break the bank, I'll consider purchasing it!
Although there's already a free real time editor out there for FM 2013, I'm intrigued to see what SI can put out themselves. If it's significantly better than the current free one and doesn't break the bank, I'll consider purchasing it!
3. Train a player's weaker foot
A minor feature here that pleases me; the ability to strengthen a player's weaker foot. This is particularly useful for trying to train two footed fullbacks and wingers so that they can play on either flank. I'd imagine that only players who have some sort of fluency of using their weaker foot will actually be successful in becoming two footed. A very useful player to have in an injury crisis!
4. Team Talk feedback
I'm delighted this for this new feature in FM 2014. Ever since team talks were introduced, SI have never explained why players react the way they do, causing for much bemusement when you tell your players that you're happy with their performance and they look unhappy as a result. In the new game, as shown in the screenshot, the assistant manager will remind you of your original teamtalk, and then tell you why they've acted in that way. Therefore, not only can you see what you're doing wrong, but also what you're doing right.
5. Ask the Director of Football to find a player to play in a specific role or position
![]() |
| You can use Joe Kinnear's various different contacts around the world to your advantage in FM 2014 |
Here is my favourite "minor" feature in the game. I may be doing it wrong but for some reason in FM 2013, whenever I send my scout to go look for a particular type of player (e.g a Ball winning midfielder), they just mysteriously disappear and come back as if nothing happened. In either case, SI should have made it easier and clearer for the player to do this action.
Also FM 2013, the newly introduced Director of Football is pretty useless and can be a big waste of money for lower league clubs. All he seems to do is buy first team players you don't need, bid inflated bids for 15 year olds and renew player contracts every 3 months after his last one began. Hopefully SI have fixed up the Director of Football's role in FM 2014, and improved it by adding this new job that my scouts seem incapable of doing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also FM 2013, the newly introduced Director of Football is pretty useless and can be a big waste of money for lower league clubs. All he seems to do is buy first team players you don't need, bid inflated bids for 15 year olds and renew player contracts every 3 months after his last one began. Hopefully SI have fixed up the Director of Football's role in FM 2014, and improved it by adding this new job that my scouts seem incapable of doing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for reading, and if there are better features announced from now until the release date, I will update this blogpost to include it :)
FORMER FAVOURITE FEATURES
4. Fixture list includes potential opponents in next round of cup competition
![]() |
| Sorry son, forgot we had a League cup tie in 2 days |
2. Increased shirt sales revenue from pre-season tours
Whenever I manage a Premier League team and take them on a pre season tour of USA or Asia, there's never a noticeable change in merchandise revenue (if there is at all). Now in FM 2014, my income should at least slightly improve and this inclusion better represents the reality of the modern game. Overseas tours are lucrative, and that's why teams like Man Utd and Chelsea are going to several different countries in a month (at the expense of player health) to capture these markets and increase their global fanbase.
3. Ask a player to sack his agent
Agents are a nuisance in Football Manager. Just like real life. Don't you just hate it when you try and renew a squad player's contract, and his agent asks for extortionate wages, and probably throw in a highest earner clause whilst he's at it? Well in FM 2014, you can either let this player go, reluctantly accept his ridiculous wage demands, or ask the player to sack his agent! If you manage to get your player to get rid of his parasite, it'll be as good as a last minute winner
3. Managerial tendencies

3. Managerial tendencies

Not one of the biggest headline features, but I really like this new addition. I've always wondered if I've been subconsciously doing certain things on all my Football Manager saves, and this is an opportunity to see how I play from an outside perspective. Seeing as I always try and play possession football, I'm interested to see if the game manages to pick this up or spot any other underlying habits I may have.
2. Job Interview
Fans have been crying out for this feature for as long as I remember, and SI have finally delivered. Job interviews are finally here. Before taking on the job, you'll have to attend a club job interview where you will discuss the transfer budget, wage budget and the philosophy of the club. I like this feature as it allows you to negotiate on certain aspects of the job such as having to sign young players or play a certain type of football, whereas before it was take it or leave it. It also adds another layer of realism to the game and truly reflects the reality of football. Whether the board can actually reject you due to your failure in the interview remains to be seen






Ngl, I fucking love blog all the posts are well written so cheers Phil!
ReplyDelete*I fucking love this blog
DeleteThank you :)
Delete